Yuvaraja college Untitled Document

to Top

About College
Brief History Of The College

Yuvaraja’s College one of the four constituent Colleges of the University of Mysore is rich in history. It was first established as an Intermediate College on 24th June 1928 and in the year 1947-48, after Independence, the college was upgraded to a First Grade College.

In the year 1927, His Highness Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar generously sanctioned the building for the Intermediate College. The foundation-stone for the structure was laid on 8th August 1927 by the eminent thinker and scholar Rajatantra Pravina Sir Brajendranath Seal, the then Vice-chancellor. The foundation stone was laid in the presence of a distinguished gathering which included amongst others, Sir Mirza Ismail, the then Dewan of Mysore, Pandit Motilal Nehru, father of our distinguished first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharalal Nehru and Mahamokhopadhyaya Sidhanthi Shivashankara Shastry. After the completion of the construction of the main block in 1928, a two-year Intermediate Course in Arts & Science was introduced on 24th June, 1928 and thus the college began its eventful career.

As a leading academic centre it has been serving the cause of higher education in Science discipline since 1947. In the year 1954, at the time of the celebration of Silver Jubilee, it was re-named as ‘Yuvaraja’s College’ to commemorate the association of His Highness Sri Jayachamaraja Wodeyar with the College.

The college had the privilege of offering pre-medical courses for a number of years. Prior to the establishment of departments in the Manasagangotri campus some Postgraduate courses were also conducted in the college. In 1970-71, the college concentrated on degree courses and the Pre-university Course was closed down and it became the oldest Constituent Science College offering B.Sc. course in the state. The college has been recognized by UGC under 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act and Government of Karnataka. A substantial number of students from the SC-ST and other backward communities are given admission into the college, adhering to the Reservation Policy of the State and Central Governments. There are a major section of students, whose parents cannot provide higher education to their wards due to financial constraints. They are thus benefited to a great extent with quality higher education.

The University Grants Commission conferred Autonomous Status to the college in the year 2005 and it was extended up to 2020 in the year 2012. Over the years the college has endeavoured to achieve and maintain academic excellence through research, teaching, and extension activities. Currently, it offers various academic programmes leading to B.Sc., BCA, BBA, Integrated M.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., M.B.A., and Ph.D. degrees. In recognition of its student-cum-community- centred innovative academic and extension programmes, the institution was conferred the status of College with Potential for Excellence in 2010. Quality enhancement and sustenance being the hallmark of this institution is further proved during the third cycle of re-accreditation by NAAC in December 2015 at ‘A’ Grade with an upgraded CGPA of 3.34. In the year 2028 Yuvaraja’s College steps into its 100th year of its existence and service to the nation.

The College constantly aspires to scale great heights in its quest for excellence in imparting human, intellectual, spiritual and moral knowledge to the students. Having successfully overcome the various impediments encountered on the way to its growth, the College has grown in stature and strength, and has matured into one of the finest educational institutions dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and excellence in the field of higher education. Recently the college has been granted by UGC the status of College with potential for excellence for the second phase from year 2017-2022. Ever since its inception, this college has been known for quality education. The College has produced a galaxy of eminent and committed teachers, scientists, politicians and administrative officers who made their name both in India and abroad and contributed their strength in taking this institution to great heights.

Untitled Document